We are what we eat. Although we know we’re supposed to eat healthy, we’re still indulging in junk food. Healthy homemade snacks can bridge the gap.
Eating healthy means consuming a variety of foods that provide the right nutrients for your body. But eating only vegetables and fruits can sure get super boring. So how about snacking on something that is healthy and at the same time not just boiled vegetables and fruits? Or even if it does include fruits and vegetables, how about transforming them into some tastier and more interesting versions?
If you are a foodie but you like to keep a check on what and how much you’re eating, you’re just where you need to be! If you are a busy person with very little time in your hands for preparation, you can check out these snacks available on Amazon for a fulfilling snacking experience. But if not and you like cooking, you can prepare these snacks at home from scratch.
CouponCodesMe presents to you 5 of the most amazing recipes for healthy snacking that you can prepare at the comfort of your home. Also, from parchment papers to baking trays to oats and granola, all the ingredients required for preparing these healthy snacks are available.
Granola Bars with Cranberries
Not only are they easy and fun to bake, Granola Bars are a good source of fibre (from oats) and Vitamin E (if you add wheatgerm). Furthermore, Cranberries are an amazing source of antioxidants and Vitamin C.
To make this healthy homemade snack, follow the steps:-
- microwave 2 cups of oats for 4 to 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Toast ¾ cup of wheat germ.
- Pre heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line your baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the crisp oats and toasted wheat germ along with ¾ cup cranberries, 2 tbsp. light brown sugar, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. salt, ½ cup honey, ½ cup vegetable oil and 2 large egg whites.
- Stir all these ingredients until well-mixed.
- Spread the mixture on the prepared tray while pressing into an even layer.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until dark golden.
- Once cooled, cut it into small pieces according to your required size and store in an air-tight container.
Baked Carrot and Beetroot Chips
Being inexpensive, tasty and easily available, chips may be an ultimate favorite thing to snack on. This healthy homemade snack has the crunch and the after taste after is great.
Homemade baked chips are not only low on fat, they’re also nutritious and healthy. Moreover, instead of using potatoes to make the chips, you could use carrots and beetroot as a better alternative. These chips are one of the tastiest healthy snacks and are super easy to make.
All you have to do is
- Slice carrots and beetroots into thin slices and mix them in a large bowl with a little bit of olive oil, some salt, cumin powder and a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line your tray with parchment paper.
- Spread out the sliced carrots and beetroots on the prepared tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges start to curl up and turn crisp. Once cooled, store them in an air-tight container.
You can use this recipe to make Apple or Kale chips too!
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Fibrous and rich in iron, these homemade snacks : cookies are far better alternative to the rich butter cookies and the likes available.
You can start off by
- combining 1 cup of unsalted butter, 1½ cup packed brown sugar and 2 large eggs.
- Beat these ingredients together and add 1 tbsp. of vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line the tray with parchment paper.
- Add 1½ cup all-purpose flour, ¾ tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg, 1½ cup raisins, and 3 cups rolled oats.
- Stir the mixture properly and spoon out the dough on the prepared tray. Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes until the cookies turn golden brown. Store them in air-tight containers once cooled.
Whole Wheat Banana Loaf
Do away with those unhealthy cakes and pastries for tea and switch to this healthy home snacks: loaf of banana bread. Bananas are packed with potassium and whole wheat is an amazing source of fiber.
To make this healthy loaf:-
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1½ tsp baking powder, 1½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ ground cinnamon.
- Mix these with ½ cup packed brown sugar, 2 large egg whites, 1 large egg, 1½ cup mashed ripe bananas, ½ cup low-fat buttermilk, and 3 tbsp vegetable oil until you get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tray and bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.
- Cool the loaf and store it well.
Enjoy your healthy homemade snacks without a worry in the world. While you’re at it, try these three iftar desserts that you’ll love.